Hull Community Building

Banner County History, Vol 1, pg 241-2. c.1982

In November of 1950 the families of the Hull Community decided it would be nice to have a place where the families could meet for social gatherings and a place for the children to go for entertainment. The tract of land in the NE1/4 of Section 23, T-20, R-58 was donated by Lynn and Hazel Williams for the Building. This spot was the location of one of the original Hull post offices. The men of the community solicited businesses and individuals and soon had enough money to erect a Quonset type building 32’ X 60’.

The Hull Community Club ladies and others of the community put on all sorts of suppers socials, etc., to raise funds. Soon it was well equipped with a stove, refrigerator, dishes, silver, etc. The ladies sold Vanilla to be buy an electric roaster. Silverware was obtained by saving Betty Crocker coupons. Cupboards, tables and a serving bar were built by volunteer help supervised by Clinton Stoddard.

The Hall was used for Club Meetings, holiday family meals, and various entertainments. The 4-H Clubs, Cub Scouts, the M.Y.F. Group, baby showers, bridal showers, individual parties and many, many more community activities made good use of the Quonset. The Hull Community Club sponsored a 3-act play to buy folding chairs. Many square dances were held with “a-le-man left” dancers, young and old, coming from miles around in every direction. Charlie Stoddard did most of the calling with Lila Pittman Lackey at the piano. Sometimes they had a guitar player. Roller skating was enjoyed by youngsters and oldsters year-round. In the summer evenings, the men played horseshoes under the lights. The ladies would have a social time followed by a covered dish supper for all the family members.

After the Banner County schools were consolidated in 1957, the children were bussed to Harrisburg or attended the LaGrange, Lyman and other schools. Therefore, on May 1, 1982 the land, building and all contents were sold at public auction. The land and buildings were purchased by Milton and Joan Sundin.